Why You Shouldn’t Paint Over Mold

Chances are if you own a home, you have had to deal with excess water of some type. Whether it was a leaky roof, water in the basement, or a plumbing issue, water leaks are one of the most common household issues. Once you’ve cleaned up the mess, though you may realize that you now have an extra problem. You may find that you have mold growing on your interior surfaces. Mold is a fungi that likes to grow in damp and dark spaces. It is a household issue that should never be ignored or covered up. Most people realize that mold can be dangerous to your health on top of just being a nuisance but try to eliminate in all of the wrong ways. If you have found mold recently or in the past, the number 1 technique you should never use is to paint over the mold. Here’s why.

Painting does not get rid of mold. While numerous paint sellers offer up products claiming to eliminate or cover up mold they are simply not true. If you try to paint over the mold it will eventually eat through the paint revealing the same problem. To truly get rid of a mold problem you must first have the mold removed completely. Some DIY experts will tell you to use bleach to remove mold while most professionals say hire a pro to get the job done right. While bleach can work on tub and tile If the mold is growing on drywall bleach will never completely get rid of the problem. Once you have had the mold removed from your drywall then it is time to prime and paint your walls.

There are a wide variety of Primer and paints specifically made for mold prevention. These products won’t get rid of mold but they can’t help prevent the reoccurrence of mold once it has been removed by a professional. For help with your painting and other construction projects call the pros at JK Paint and Contracting.